The Vetka region was founded on December 8, 1926. It is located in the east of the oblast Vitebsk. The territory of the region stretches 65 km from north to south and 48 km – from east to west. The area of the region is 155,862 hectares. It borders on the Chechersk region in the north, on the Budo-Koshelyovo region in the west, on the the Dobrush region in the southeast, and on Krasnogorsk and Novozybkov regions of Russia’s Bryansk oblast in the east.
The regional centre is the town of Vetka located 22 km away from the rail station of Gomel. The landscape is mainly plain. The region lies 120-150 m above the sea level; the highest point is 188.9m (by the village of Staroye Zakruzhye). The region has a hilly relief. There are moderate boulder trains. Main minerals are peat, clay and chalk stones. The average temperature in January is to -7 °C (), in July - +18.6 °C. The annual average precipitation is 580 mm. The vegetation period is 193 days.
There are a lot of rivers, which flow into the Black Sea. The largest river is the nonnavigable Sozh with the confluents of Besed, Nemanka, Lipa, Sponka. The Perelevka, Stolbunka, Vedernya flow into the Besed. Rivers and brooks, lakes and canals occupy 2,409 hectares. Forests occupy 76,419 hectares (about 34% of the territory of the region). These are mostly pine, birch and sticky alder forests. Bogs occupy some 7.8% of the territory.
The town of Vetka is situated in the centre of the Vetka region in the Gomel oblast, 22km away from Gomel. The population is 8 thousand.
The town was founded in 1685 (according to other sources - 1682) by Old Believers who fled Russia. In the 17th-18th century, Vetka was the centre of the schism community. In the 30s of the 18th century the population was around 40 thousand.
The 18th century witnessed the development of the local icon painting and the art of decorating manuscript books, original carving school in Vetka.
Vetka was burned down twice by tsarist punitive troops (in 1735 and 1764). Many residents were resettled to eastern provinces of Russia.
In 1919, Vetka made part of the Gomel uyezd of the Russian SFSR. In 1925, Vetka gained the status of a town. In 1926, the town was made part of the Belarusian Soviet Socialist Republic, and on December 8, 1926, the town - the centre of the region. In 1939, the population of Vetka was 6 thousand. From August in 1941 till September in 1943, Vetka was occupied by Nazis.
On April 26, 1986 Vetka was contaminated by radionuclides as a result of the catastrophe at the Chernobyl disaster.
Arts and Crafts Museum open in Vetka in 1987. The museum was based on the collection of F.R. Shklyarov, which was opened in November 1987.